Houses designed and built in principles followed by Thannal – natural and local materials, minimal consumption of resources, cost effective, indigenous methods found near the site and use of traditional plant and animal derivatives in construction.
Divided into 5 category
- Owner’s build – Made by owner him/her self or with their family, friends or with help of few workers.
- Professionals in Natural Buildings – Architects, Engineers, Interior Designers, Contractors, who have signing authorities to do a buildinging
- Self trained natural builders – Farmers, artists, travellers,fashion designers,research scientists, teachers, government employes and many more
- Artisans/ Masons – Plasterer, Carpenters, Master masons,other area skilled people in Natural building and craft
- Thannalites – Students of natural buildings who have worked under founders of Thannal – Biju Anna and Sindhu Akka