Apprenticeship and Internship at Thannal is for aspiring Natural Builders who are serious about learning and practicing it. We look forward to people who are interested in understanding the principles of Thannal and contributing their efforts to the growth of Thannal.
Research and Documentation is the primary source of all knowledge gained in Thannal. So an apprentice would be expected to work more on Documentation, of both indigenous buildings and our own projects. Photography, Sketching and Writing skills can contribute to our documentation. We believe in training people to use natural materials after getting all the know-hows through hands-on work on our live projects. Site Visits facilitating this would be also part of curriculum here. This also opens the door to interaction to different contexts in executing vernacular techniques. We also encourage learning practical solutions, which are native to a place through our site visits.
After the initial phase of learning about Natural Buildings, people can be project coordinators of the selected projects we take. We generally take projects in Rural areas and believes in building more villages than cities. We avoid working for people with a consumerist lifestyle and prefer to contribute our services for the people in need, not in greed. So working in such scenarios can offer a wide range of opportunities to learn about the fundamentals of Natural Living.
As learning about natural buildings is a slow process, we need people who are patient with the schedule here. We work with like-minded people in Natural Living and Materials, which contributes to learning from everyone who is involved with Thannal.
Thannal also plans to expand in many more mediums like Literature and Music to spread the message of Natural Living, where we need enthusiastic people who are willing to get their hands on aspects beyond architecture.
We believe in using, studying and experimenting materials in their natural form, and strictly avoid hybridisation with Cement and other manufactured materials. As Thannal is a non-profit organisation, we are unable to offer any stipend to our apprentices and interns. Please apply for Apprenticeship and Internship through the form in ‘vacancies’ page only and wait for our response within two weeks.
Mandatory Terms for Apprenticeship / Internship
Those who have already attended our workshop or courses will be given preference. If you haven’t attended a workshop till now, it is recommended that you attend the very first workshop (by paying full tuition-fee), after you get selected to understand Thannal and our ideology better.
Who can apply?
Only those who have attended our workshop or courses can apply.
We are open to everyone who is enthusiastic about building the natural way. A formal education isn’t needed to work with us. College drop-outs, Designers from any fields, artists, writers, are all welcome. Architects may apply for this apprenticeship as well.
What are the minimum requirements?
Your full presence of mind, body and soul is essential. A will to learn, explore and experiment with a keen observation and an eye for detail are the prerequisites to be a part of our team.
Where to start or apply?
Nice question. The best thing for a quick start is to attend a workshop or a course, where we understand your hands, mind, soul and attitude.
Do I need prior experience and knowledge of natural building?
Sure, you could share your experiences with us. If not, then we will help you make some.
What is the minimum duration of Apprenticeship?
Every person has their own pace of understanding which is a beautiful human quality. Spending at least a year and a half with us or working with us on two complete projects is an ideal duration to understand the working of a natural building. You will be growing with the building, and even learning from your mistakes!
What is the minimum duration for an internship ?
We prefer to have people associated with us for at least six months so as to go through different stages in construction of a natural building.
Will there be an interview?
You will never know! We do not believe that a portfolio or an interview is enough to understand someone. And working with Thannal is not in any way like the conventional working system. We work together as a team, respecting everyone’s space and opinions.
Who is a good apprentice?
Learning is a slow process and patience is what we are looking for. We would love to have someone who will readily involve with the work on site, and simultaneously document the ongoing works. But most important of all is a good sense of humour.
Where can I see available vacancies?
Please go to the vacancy page to know more about apprenticeship and other vacancies.
- #7056 (no title)
- #7500 (no title)
- 1 day Natural Plaster Workshop
- 10 day Natual Building Workshop July 2018 – form
- 10 days Natural Building Workshop
- 15 days Long Course in Natural Finishes & Flooring
- 3 day Natural Plaster & Flooring Workshop
- A cow shelter
- A home for parents
- A video about Thannal in Puthiya Thalaimurai TV Veedu Program
- An article about Thannal in Better India by young journalist Tanvi Patel
- An article by Charishma Thankappan in FWD Lifestyle Magazine
- An article by Sandeepani Cherkkatt in Mathrubhumi newspaper
- An article saying Back to Earth Homes by Sandeepani Cherkkatt in an Indian magazine Grihalakshmi
- Apprenticeship with Thannal
- Article about Thannal in Malayalam magazine Designer + Builder by Resmy P.S
- Article by Ar. Sukanya Balaji saying “The ancient shades of green” in Design detail June 2018
- Article by Bava Chelladurai – Tamil in Hindu
- Article by Neeraja kapadia’s Interview as Cover story in “Inside Track” June 2018
- Article by Rachel Goldlust about Thannal in Australian Magazine The Owner Builder
- Article by Sinu. K. Cherian – Home is the extension of mind” in Vanitha Veedu April 2018
- Build a Natural Home
- Completed Natural Building Workshops
- Cover Story of Discover Chennai Magazine – Nest in Nature by Angeline Sajini
- Earth Station
- Earthbag home
- For Vacancies 1
- Form 1 day Natural Plaster Workshop- 28th April 2019
- Form 1 day Natural Plaster Workshop- 29th March 2020
- Form 10 days Natural Building Workshop 1- 10 th July 2020
- Form 10 days Natural Building Workshop 24 February-4th March 2020
- Form 10 days Natural Building Workshop August 2019
- Form 10 days Natural Building Workshop December 2019
- Form 10 days Natural Building Workshop September 2019
- Form 15 days Long Course in Natural Finishes & Flooring October 2019
- Form 2 day April 2019 – Natural Building Camp for Common (Wo)Man
- Form 2 day Natural Building Camp for Common (Wo)Man
- Form Araish,Thappi Plaster & Lime Flooring June 2019
- Form Dec 2018- 10 days Natural Building Workshop
- Form for Nov 2018 Revival Workshop: Thappi-Araish Plaster & Lime Flooring
- Form January 2020 Araish,Thappi Plaster & Lime Flooring
- Form Lime in Natural Building – Special workshop June 9-10, 2018.
- Form March 2 days Workshop- Essentials of Building with Earth
- Free Thannal Homes
- Home Trail
- Inn for Natural Hygiene
- JAN 2015 Thannal Natural building workshop – Cob & Bamboo
- Jayan, a farmer’s home
- Meeting between Narayana Guru and Ramana Maharshi
- Mixes & Recipes Workshop Dec 2015
- My Account
- Native seed bank
- Natural building as an art
- Natural Building Awakening workshop for Students
- Natural building book Weaving Walls in Australian Magazine Owner’s Build
- Natural Building Camp for Common (Wo)Man
- Natural Building Camp for Common (Wo)Man – 2 days Workshop
- Natural Building Workshop for Farmers
- Natural building workshops
- Natural building workshops and courses
- Organic Farmer’s Training Centre
- Prepare To Attend a Workshop
- Reach Us
- Research & Documentation
- Revival Workshop: Thappi-Araish Plaster & Lime Flooring
- Singing Dervish Studio
- Support us
- Thannal Natural Building Video Channel
- Thannal Natural Building Workshop – April 2017 – Essentials of Building with Earth
- Thannal Natural Building Workshop – August 2017 – Essentials of Building with Earth
- Thannal Natural Building Workshop – February 2017 – Essentials of Building with Earth
- Thannal Natural Building Workshop – July 2017 – Essentials of Building with Earth
- Thannal Natural Building Workshop – March 2017 – Essentials of Building with Earth
- Thannal Natural Building Workshop For Students – March 2017 – Essentials of Building with Earth
- thannal natural building workshop september 2017
- Thannal school of natural building
- Thannal Team
- Thappi-Lohi-Araish ( Arayash) Lime Plasters & Lime Flooring Workshop
- Upcoming natural building works
- Usha Akka’s Home
- Volunteering with Thannal
- Vriksha a Perma home
- Weekend 2 days Workshop- Essentials of Building with Earth
- What We Do
- workshop table
- தணலுடன் தன்னார்வப் பணி
- தணலுடன் பணிப் பயிற்சி
- தணல் மதிப்புகள்
- பயிற்சி வகுப்புக்கு ஆயத்தமாதல்
- பாடும் அந்தணரின் வீடு
- பாவா செல்லதுரை எழுதிய கட்டுரை – இந்து தமிழ்
- Ageless Village Homes
- Natural building book
- Natural Finishes
- Natural Living
- Our works
- People & Interviews
- Thannal Homes
- Thannal News
- Uncategorized @ta
- Video course
- இயற்கை பூச்சுகள்
- கட்டிடச் சொல்லகராதி
- சுண்ணாம்பு பூச்சு
- மண் பூச்சு
- மூலப்பொருட்கள் மற்றும் எதிர்ப்பு பொருட்கள்
- August 2020
- June 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- November 2019
- July 2019
- May 2019
- November 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- August 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- September 2015
- June 2015
- September 2013
- July 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013