Thannal as an awareness group emphasises on few selfless values which are inculcated in our efforts deeply through projects, like we offer services in exchange of creating learning opportunities. Studying about Natural Buildings through Volunteering in such projects invokes a nature of ‘Give and Take’, a barter system of values and knowledge. We expect people who apply for volunteers to treat this with the same seriousness.
As Thannal works in Rural scenario, volunteers would be asked to be in such remote areas, away from the bustling city life. Luxuries of living in such a place would be different from the cities, so people who choose to join must be open for such a change in environment. After-all, clear air and lush green landscapes has diminished to few fortunate places. They also need to respect the rural culture, way of living and dressing, try to blend in so that situations will be encouraging for learning.
We promote Owner’s Build, where owner himself learns the techniques from us and practices it. So, we are always in behind the scenes, proving design consultancy and assistance in all stages of construction. Volunteers comes into picture with co-ordinating project on-site as well as doing hands-on work to practice and learn the methods of construction. Documentation of all the work happening on site (photographic, written, video) and quantitative analysis of resources (excel sheets) involved also contributes to portrayal of natural buildings through Thannal in India, which volunteers can help with their skills.
Volunteers may have to support themselves for food and stay, depending on the owner’s calibre to accommodate people. We do work with people who cannot afford architects in conventional scenario and have limited resources, so way of work and luxuries of life will be defined in a humble way, different from the conventional life.
Each project involves important experimentation, so we always love to keep away from all the paparazzi and distractions so that required privacy and space is maintained for all those who work on the project. Once the project is finished, everybody is welcome to learn from and experience the natural building in its purest form. Due to this concern, exact location and owner details will be disclosed only to the selected volunteers.
Nominal contributions made from volunteers in some peculiar cases like ‘Free Homes’ will be used in the building itself. There can be more terms depending upon the kind of project, location and concerned owner.
How to start to apply for volunteer ship?
As the Volunteer represents Thannal, we will be choosing candidates with hand-on experience and who have attended any of our workshop and understood the ideology of Thannal. The forms for volunteering will be circulated in closed groups of workshop participants.
To attend a workshop, go to this page.
What is the minimum duration of volunteering with Thannal?
Minimum tenure of volunteering is 20 days. The period of volunteering has to be this long as less than that would be too little time to actively involve yourself in the process.
Is there any tuition fee involved for the volunteering program?
There will be no tuition fee for volunteering except for projects in Free Homes section.
What are the provisions for my accommodation & food?
You will have to take care about your food and accommodation, which can be suggested by the owner. You are most welcome to bring your own tiny home (we mean camper’s tent) if you like it! You will be served with hot Vegetarian Indian meals, local to the region for lunch on site with nominal charges by the owner.
Where are Thannal’s on-going sites where I can volunteer?
You can find our on-going projects here.
What are the areas of volunteering offered at Thannal, and do I need to have any prior experience?
We would love to have you on-board any time of our project stage, although you would gain true benefit if you participate at the start of a stage. You can join us at various stages, placing foundation, wall (cob-adobe-wattle & daub), roofing, making plasters and various creative interventions. We appreciate the learning process where a volunteer must not only be a ‘student’ but also a ‘teacher’, we encourage interactions and are open to suggestions and ideas. Go ahead Explore!
I am a student, and I wish to apply for a short term volunteering with Thannal can I apply?
If you have taken a gap-year and wish to utilize the time for learning and helping, go ahead sign up!
Will I get a Certificate from Thannal for participating in the program?
We do not offer Certificates of any form at Thannal, but we only believe in a mutual and holistic learning process. A good long-time volunteer can get a chance to be an apprentice, which is more than a certificate .
- #7056 (no title)
- #7500 (no title)
- 1 day Natural Plaster Workshop
- 10 day Natual Building Workshop July 2018 – form
- 10 days Natural Building Workshop
- 15 days Long Course in Natural Finishes & Flooring
- 3 day Natural Plaster & Flooring Workshop
- A cow shelter
- A home for parents
- A video about Thannal in Puthiya Thalaimurai TV Veedu Program
- An article about Thannal in Better India by young journalist Tanvi Patel
- An article by Charishma Thankappan in FWD Lifestyle Magazine
- An article by Sandeepani Cherkkatt in Mathrubhumi newspaper
- An article saying Back to Earth Homes by Sandeepani Cherkkatt in an Indian magazine Grihalakshmi
- Apprenticeship with Thannal
- Article about Thannal in Malayalam magazine Designer + Builder by Resmy P.S
- Article by Ar. Sukanya Balaji saying “The ancient shades of green” in Design detail June 2018
- Article by Bava Chelladurai – Tamil in Hindu
- Article by Neeraja kapadia’s Interview as Cover story in “Inside Track” June 2018
- Article by Rachel Goldlust about Thannal in Australian Magazine The Owner Builder
- Article by Sinu. K. Cherian – Home is the extension of mind” in Vanitha Veedu April 2018
- Build a Natural Home
- Completed Natural Building Workshops
- Cover Story of Discover Chennai Magazine – Nest in Nature by Angeline Sajini
- Earth Station
- Earthbag home
- For Vacancies 1
- Form 1 day Natural Plaster Workshop- 28th April 2019
- Form 1 day Natural Plaster Workshop- 29th March 2020
- Form 10 days Natural Building Workshop 1- 10 th July 2020
- Form 10 days Natural Building Workshop 24 February-4th March 2020
- Form 10 days Natural Building Workshop August 2019
- Form 10 days Natural Building Workshop December 2019
- Form 10 days Natural Building Workshop September 2019
- Form 15 days Long Course in Natural Finishes & Flooring October 2019
- Form 2 day April 2019 – Natural Building Camp for Common (Wo)Man
- Form 2 day Natural Building Camp for Common (Wo)Man
- Form Araish,Thappi Plaster & Lime Flooring June 2019
- Form Dec 2018- 10 days Natural Building Workshop
- Form for Nov 2018 Revival Workshop: Thappi-Araish Plaster & Lime Flooring
- Form January 2020 Araish,Thappi Plaster & Lime Flooring
- Form Lime in Natural Building – Special workshop June 9-10, 2018.
- Form March 2 days Workshop- Essentials of Building with Earth
- Free Thannal Homes
- Home Trail
- Inn for Natural Hygiene
- JAN 2015 Thannal Natural building workshop – Cob & Bamboo
- Jayan, a farmer’s home
- Meeting between Narayana Guru and Ramana Maharshi
- Mixes & Recipes Workshop Dec 2015
- My Account
- Native seed bank
- Natural building as an art
- Natural Building Awakening workshop for Students
- Natural building book Weaving Walls in Australian Magazine Owner’s Build
- Natural Building Camp for Common (Wo)Man
- Natural Building Camp for Common (Wo)Man – 2 days Workshop
- Natural Building Workshop for Farmers
- Natural building workshops
- Natural building workshops and courses
- Organic Farmer’s Training Centre
- Prepare To Attend a Workshop
- Reach Us
- Research & Documentation
- Revival Workshop: Thappi-Araish Plaster & Lime Flooring
- Singing Dervish Studio
- Support us
- Thannal Natural Building Video Channel
- Thannal Natural Building Workshop – April 2017 – Essentials of Building with Earth
- Thannal Natural Building Workshop – August 2017 – Essentials of Building with Earth
- Thannal Natural Building Workshop – February 2017 – Essentials of Building with Earth
- Thannal Natural Building Workshop – July 2017 – Essentials of Building with Earth
- Thannal Natural Building Workshop – March 2017 – Essentials of Building with Earth
- Thannal Natural Building Workshop For Students – March 2017 – Essentials of Building with Earth
- thannal natural building workshop september 2017
- Thannal school of natural building
- Thannal Team
- Thappi-Lohi-Araish ( Arayash) Lime Plasters & Lime Flooring Workshop
- Upcoming natural building works
- Usha Akka’s Home
- Volunteering with Thannal
- Vriksha a Perma home
- Weekend 2 days Workshop- Essentials of Building with Earth
- What We Do
- workshop table
- தணலுடன் தன்னார்வப் பணி
- தணலுடன் பணிப் பயிற்சி
- தணல் மதிப்புகள்
- பயிற்சி வகுப்புக்கு ஆயத்தமாதல்
- பாடும் அந்தணரின் வீடு
- பாவா செல்லதுரை எழுதிய கட்டுரை – இந்து தமிழ்
- Ageless Village Homes
- Natural building book
- Natural Finishes
- Natural Living
- Our works
- People & Interviews
- Thannal Homes
- Thannal News
- Uncategorized @ta
- Video course
- இயற்கை பூச்சுகள்
- கட்டிடச் சொல்லகராதி
- சுண்ணாம்பு பூச்சு
- மண் பூச்சு
- மூலப்பொருட்கள் மற்றும் எதிர்ப்பு பொருட்கள்
- August 2020
- June 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- November 2019
- July 2019
- May 2019
- November 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- August 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- September 2015
- June 2015
- September 2013
- July 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013