Natural Building Awakening workshop for Students
Apply and wait for tentative dates
Note: This course is only for group of students from a college/institution/university
Thannal Hand Sculpted Homes is a Natural Building Awareness Group, based in Tiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu. Founded by Ar. Biju Bhaskar, in 2011, we aim at reviving Natural Buildings with breathing Mud walls, stabilized with lime and natural admixtures. Using locally available natural materials without adulterating reduces exploitation of nature. The effective way to learn about Natural materials is to build with it.
Workshops facilitate learning about materials and techniques through hands-on work (1:1 scale) and observe wide range of experimentations done in our campus. Inferences from such experiences can strengthen confidence in building with Natural Materials. Availability of experienced workers for assistance and required materials in the right preparation has enhanced ambience in our campus in Tiruvannamalai for such an endeavour. The course also includes Rural Study and Documentation of indigenous & contemporary mud buildings.
What all you’ll be experiencing on site:
- Water tanks made with Mud and Lime.
- The Singing Dervish Studio, using cob.
- Earth bag studio.
- Sensing Natural living.
- Animal shelter using different wall systems
Please fill the bottom form to apply
Course Detail (for 03 days)
|Introduction To Natural Building||Theory|
|Introduction To Materials||Theory|
|Earth – Sampling/Testing||Prototype|
|Lime – Cycle/Slaking/Bagging||Prototype|
|Bamboo/Wood – Treatment||Prototype|
|Wall Systems :||……..|
|Wattle And Daub||Hands On|
|Mud + Lime Plaster||Prototype|
|Rural Study – Indigenous And Contemporary Mud Buildings||Site Visit|
|Presentation On Natural Building-People And Places||Theory|
- For One-day course, site-visit and rural study will be omitted. Hands-on sessions will be of shorter duration, due to limited time.
- For two-day course, site visit and rural study will be omitted. No other changes.
- Course duration: one, two or three days, as chosen by the college.
- Held on preferably on 4th weekend of any month at the foot hill of Arunachala, Tiruvannamalai.
- This workshop is exclusive for students only.
- The intake will be strictly on basis of different categories of participants mentioned below.
- The workshop fee per student including lunch & refreshments and excluding breakfast, accommodation and site visit’s travel expenses for different groups are mentioned below.
|One day||Rs. 2000/-||Rs. 1750/-||Rs. 1500/-|
|Two Day||Rs. 3500/-||Rs. 3000/-||Rs. 2500/-|
|Three Day||Rs. 4500/-||Rs. 3750/-||Rs. 3000/-|
- Any negotiations in the fees won’t be entertained by the administration.
- Accommodation and travel to & fro from workshop site has to be arranged by the college itself, we will not be taking any other responsibility than workshop itinerary.
- The itinerary is subjective to change as per the site conditions and weather conditions.
- For registering a workshop: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For workshop updates : http://thannal.com/natural-buildings-workshops/
- Workshop Videos : CEPT Winter School Workshop : https://vimeo.com/250551626
- Mud Age: https://vimeo/15757236
Please fill the below form to apply