2 day Hands-On
Common Men Workshop
Note: Proceed to the payment link at the bottom after reading the entire terms & workshop details.
The next 2-day workshop will be held in 2024 (exact dates yet to be determined). However, you have the opportunity to join the 5-day Hands-on and Complete Companion of Natural Building Combo workshop scheduled for October 1st – 5th, 2023.
Time- 09:30 AM – 5:30 PM.
If tickets are filled, please write to us on Whatsapp or email thannalroots<@>gmail.com
We will be happy to add you to our waiting list and will keep you informed if any cancellations become available.
One doesn’t have to be an Architect or an Engineer to be a Natural builder. Anyone can build a natural building with the right knowledge about using Natural materials. This two-day initiative aims at introducing participants to the basics of Natural building. People from different walks of life can come together, and learn by doing hands-on work and observing existing projects on our campus. It can serve as a platform to share experiences with like-minded people and arrive at a living in harmony with nature.
The workshop will be a two-day hands-on course focusing on Natural building: techniques and materials. It will be held on our campus at the foothill of Arunachala, Tiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu. It is open to all regardless of their age and profession.
The course consists of
- Theory sessions with lectures and audio-visual presentations.
- Hands-on sessions (for better practical learning about Materials & Techniques).
- Prototype sessions (artisan will explain through doing a sample).
- Question and Answer session.
Natural Building Techniques covered in the course:
- Foundation using Stone.
- Cob, a thick monolithic wall using Mud and Fibers.
- Wattle & Daub, bamboo is weaved and mud is applied on top. Flexible to take any shape given.
- Adobe, Sun-Dried bricks of Mud and Fibers.
- CSMB, compressed mud blocks using very less water.
- Natural Plasters using admixtures derived from plants and animals.
- Murals and Sculptures on Mud walls.
Thannal campus, Tiruvannamalai, Tamilnadu
Nearest Railway Stations: Tiruvannamalai, Katpadi and Villupuram.
Nearest Airport: Chennai, Bangalore.
Accommodation is not available within Thannal Campus, so participants have to find and arrange a guest house for staying in Tiruvannamalai town. This expense is not included in the course fee. The daily commute to the campus (6 k.m. from Ramana Ashram, Tiruvannamalai) during workshop days also have to be arranged by participants.
The workshop fee is Rs. 8,000/-. To register you have to pay 50% of the fees and the remaining fee is to be paid on the workshop day (in cash only).
If you are coming for the workshop with your family, children between 10-16 years will be charged Rs. 4,000/- and children below 10 years can attend the workshop without any fee with their parents.
This fee includes lunch & refreshments during workshop days and excludes accommodation & site visit travel expenses.
We function in a manner in which all our studies, documentation, travels and research are funded with the money from workshops, Online courses not from any external funds, sponsorship or fellowships. Projects are done on gift culture, without any consultation fee, which are the results of our studies of Indian Traditional Natural Building techniques. We expect people who want to learn from us to understand this situation and kindly not ask for discounts on our study programmes. As we do not have any scholarships available right now, you can find a sponsor for yourself to study with us (you will be supporting us this way).
If you wish to sponsor any student for the course, kindly write to us. We have applicants waiting for sponsorship.
Participation is for limited participants only, depending on the specific course, in a first come first serve manner. Kindly use the payment link below to register for the workshop. Accommodation options and location of campus etc. will be shared after your registration is done.
We are seeking participants with all levels of experience. Most importantly, applicants should have enthusiasm, a deep willingness to learn, an appreciation for working with their hands and a good attitude!
Prepare for the day:
Please see the below links for details of things to carry and other matters of concern. Prepare for the workshop.
We understand that circumstances may arise which prevent you from attending our hands-on workshop after booking a seat. However, kindly note that we have limited seats available and finding a replacement on short notice may be difficult.
If you want to cancel your booking, please inform the Thannal team at least 20 days before the workshop, and we will offer you the opportunity to attend one of our future workshops.
If you cancel your booking within 20 days of the workshop, we will provide you with the following options:
- To participate in one of our future workshops within 20 days of cancellation, you will need to make an additional payment of INR 2,000 along with the balance payment of INR 4,000, bringing the total to INR 6,000/-. This additional payment is required to cover the cost of the vacant seat, as Thannal will lose a valuable participant if it remains unfilled. We appreciate your understanding in this matter.
- Alternatively, you can opt for access to our online course packages for the amount paid as the booking fee for the workshop.
Please note that we do not provide refunds for cancellations. Instead, we offer you the two options mentioned above. We appreciate your cooperation in this matter. Thank you for choosing Thannal for your natural building education.
- We welcome families taking part in the workshop together. Children below 10 years can attend the workshop for free with their parents. Children from 10-16 years of age have to pay 50% of the workshop fee.
- We don’t entertain non-participants at the workshop site during workshop hours unless it is unavoidable. Please let us know in advance if you want to invite your relatives or friends to campus during workshop days.
- Do respect the privacy of others when you go visit any nearby sites.
- This is exclusively a hand-on workshop so get ready to stretch and twist your muscles.
- Do wear light comfortable cotton clothes, preferably old, to beat the heat. There are very few chances of your clothes not getting soiled.
- The sun can be a bit harsh here so carry sunscreen and headgears.
- Do keep yourself hydrated to avoid any discomforts. You can also carry Electoral & Glucose for that extra boost of energy.
- Wear footwear that you can slip in and out of easily. Our Natural Cob Gym will need the use of your bare feet!
- At times, working with hands can get a little rough; you can get a pair of work gloves along!
- Please carry your emergency medicine if and when required.
- Keep your cell phones away while working, this is a no selfie zone. Video recording during the workshop is also prohibited, notes can be written down.
- The itinerary is subject to change as per material availability, site conditions and local weather.
- For queries: thannalroots<@>com
This post is also available in: Tamil