Natural Building Camp for Common (Wo)Man
Location: Tiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu
Proceed to the payment link at the bottom after reading the entire terms & workshop details.
Two day workshop will be followed by 1-day plaster workshop, so people coming from long distance can attend both, if they wish to study about plasters in deep. Link to One-day plaster workshop
- 17 – 18th September 2020 – (Tickets opening soon)
5 – 6th November 2020 (Tickets opening soon)
One doesn’t have to be an Architect or an Engineer to be a Natural builder. Anyone can build a natural building with right knowledge about using Natural materials. This two-day initiative aims at introducing participants to the basics of Natural building. People from different walks of life can come together; and learn by doing hands-on work and observing existing projects in our campus. It can serve as a platform to share experiences with like-minded people and arrive at a living in harmony with nature.
The workshop will be a two-day hands-on course focusing on Natural building: techniques and materials. It will be held in our campus at the foot hill of Arunachala, Tiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu. It is open for all regardless of their age and profession.
The course consists of
- Theory sessions with lectures and audio-visual presentation.
- Hands-on sessions (for better practical learning about Materials & Techniques).
- Prototype sessions (artisan will explain through doing a sample).
- Question and Answer session.
Natural Building Techniques covered in the course:
- Foundation using Stone.
- Cob, a thick mono-lithic wall using Mud and Fibers.
- Wattle & Daub, bamboo is weaved and mud is applied on top. Flexible to take any shape given.
- Adobe, Sun Dried bricks of Mud and Fibers.
- CSMB, compressed mud blocks using very less water.
- Natural Plasters using admixtures derived from plants and animals.
- Murals and Sculptures on Mud walls.
|Introduction To Natural Building||Theory|
|Introduction To Materials||Theory|
|Earth – Sampling/Testing||Prototype|
|Lime – Cycle/Slaking/Bagging||Prototype|
|Bamboo/Wood – Treatment||Prototype|
|Wall Systems :|
|Wattle And Daub||Hands On|
|Mud + Lime Plaster||Prototype|
|Presentation on Natural Builders, Roofing, Flooring||Theory|
Thannal campus, Tiruvannamalai, Tamilnadu
Nearest Railway Stations: Tiruvannamalai, Katpadi and Villupuram.
Nearest Airport: Chennai, Bangalore.
Accommodation is not available within Thannal Campus, so participants have to find and arrange a guest house for staying in Tiruvannamalai town. This expense is not included in the course fee. Daily commute to the campus (6 k.m. from Ramana Ashram, Tiruvannamalai) during workshop days also have to be arranged by participants.
The workshop fee is Rs. 4,500/- (Only Indians) and USD 85/- (foreign nationals or Non- Resident Indians)
50% of the fee needs to be paid in advance for registration and remaining 50% on the first day of workshop.
If you are coming for the workshop with your family, children between 10-18 years will be charged Rs. 2,250/- and children below 10 years can attend the workshop without any fee with their parents.
This fee includes lunch & refreshments during workshop days and excludes accommodation & site visit’s travel expenses.
*We function in a manner in which all our studies, documentations, travels and researches are funded with the money from workshops, not from any external funds, sponsorship’s and fellowships. Projects are done on a gift culture, without any consultation fee, which are the results of our studies of Indian Traditional Natural Building techniques. We expect people who want to learn from us understand this situation and kindly not ask for discounts in our workshops*
If you wish to sponsor any student for the course, kindly write to us. We have applicants waiting for sponsorship.
Participation is for limited participants only, depending on the specific course, on first come first serve manner. Kindly use the payment link below to register for the workshop.Accommodation options and location of campus etc. will be shared after your registration is done.
We are seeking participants with all levels of experience. Most importantly, applicants should have enthusiasm, a deep willingness to learn, an appreciation for working with their hands and a good attitude!
Prepare for the day:
Please see below links for details of things to carry and other matters of concern.
As per policies of Thannal Mud Homes Trust, if you want to cancel your reservation, kindly let us know clearly 15 days before the workshop (It is difficult to find a replacement for vacant seat on short notice). In case of cancellation, we will refund you 75% of the registration fee.
No refunds will be provided on cancellations done in a later stage, that is, within 15 days of the first day of the workshop.
If you are unable to attend the workshop you have booked for and wish to change to another workshop, your money can be adjusted into the fee of the workshop you are attending. You will be provided with only one chance of transfer, with a transfer request placed before 10 days of the workshop.
Transfer in workshop dates cannot be done within 15 days of the workshop.
In case if you are unable to attend and it is within 15 days of the starting date of workshop, you can nominate someone else on your behalf. Your registration fee can be transferred to the person nominated by you.
All penalties due to cancellation will be taken in as a donation for our upcoming publications or activities of Thannal Natural Building School.
- We welcome families taking part in the workshop together. Children below 10 years can attend the workshop for free with parents. Children from 10-18 years of age has to pay 50% of workshop fee.
- We don’t entertain non participants at workshop site during workshop hours, unless it is unavoidable. Please let us know in advance if you want to invite your relatives or friends to campus during workshop days.
- Do respect privacy of others when you go visit any nearby sites.
- This is exclusively a hand-on workshop so get ready to stretch and twist your muscles.
- Do wear light comfortable cotton clothes, preferably old, to beat the heat. There are very less chances of your clothes not getting soiled.
- The sun can be a bit harsh here so carry sunscreen and head gears.
- Do keep yourself hydrated to avoid any discomforts. You can also carry Electoral & Glucose for that extra boost of energy.
- Wear foot wear that you can slip in and out of easily. Our Natural Cob Gym will need the use of your bare feet!
- At times, working with hands can get a little rough; you can get a pair of work gloves along!
- Please carry your emergency medicine if and when required.
- Keep your cell phones away while working, this is a no selfie zone. Video recording during workshop is also prohibited, notes can be written down.
- The itinerary is subjective to change as per material availability, site conditions and local weather.
- For queries: thannalroots<@>com
Press Facebook logo or any blue link to see more photos below