10 days Natural Building Workshop
Open for all
Location: Tiruvannamalai, Tamil nadu
Note: Proceed to the payment link at the bottom after reading the entire terms & workshop details.
22-31st August 2019 – Tickets open.
20-29th December 2019- Registration will open June 2019
Thannal Natural Building School’s half yearly 10-day course is planned for people who want intense learning in natural materials, techniques and processes through hands-on work (1:1 scale) on our project. Every aspect of Natural Building from foundation, wall systems, roofs, flooring & finishes is part of this course. Basics know-how of every ingredient used like different types of mud, lime, bamboo, herbal mixes and natural gums is explained. Participants are made familiar with how to identify different properties of material, source it, prepare it and different technique of using it. Various treatments for natural materials for termite resistance and how to repair mud structures is also covered.
Enhanced with Rural Study through site visits to indigenous & contemporary mud buildings. Inferences from such experiences can strengthen your confidence in building with Natural Materials.
Observe and learn from wide range of experimentation done in our campus:
- The Singing Dervish Studio, using cob.
- Earth bag studio.
- Learning Center, using Cob, Adobe, Wattle & Daub.
- Water tanks made with Mud and Lime.
- Sensing Natural living.
Aspects of Natural Building explored:
- Lime preparation and usage.
- Different forms of stabilization and admixtures.
- Treatments using native plant and animal derivatives.
- Natural gums.
- Grey water management using Natural filtration.
The course consists of
- Theory sessions with lectures and audio-visual presentation.
- Hands-on sessions (for better practical learning about Materials & Techniques).
- Prototype sessions (artisan will explain through doing a sample).
- Site Visits (to experience the existing Natural Buildings).
- Question and Answer session.
Natural Building Techniques covered in the course:
- Foundation using Earth-bag and Stone.
- Cob, a thick mono-lithic wall using Mud and Fibers.
- Wattle & Daub, bamboo is weaved and mud is applied on top. Flexible to take any shape given.
- Adobe, Sun Dried bricks of Mud and Fibers.
- CSMB, compressed mud blocks using very less water.
- Earth-bag as building units.
- Beams and Lintels using Bamboo.
- Natural Plasters using admixtures derived from plants and animals.
- Flooring using Lime and Terracotta tiles.
- Roofing using Thatch, Bamboo, Wood and Tiles.
- Murals and Sculptures on Mud walls.
Note: Each day is divided into four sessions, 10 days into 40 sessions, two before lunch and two after lunch. Schedule could vary according to site weather conditions.
|1||Introduction to Natural Buildings||Theory||01|
|2||Procurement and Treatments||01|
|2.1||Mud- Testing & Sampling||Hands-on|
|2.4||Lime slaking and storing||Prototype|
|3.3||Beam System using Bamboo||Prototype|
|4.3||Wattle and Daub||Hands-on|
|5.3||Flat Mud Roof||Theory|
|6.2||Plasters (Lime, Mud, Mud + Lime.)||Hands-on|
|9.1||Old Mud Dwellings|
|Presentation by Ar. Biju Bhaskar on the following topics:|
|Introduction to Natural Building.|
|Evolution of Natural Building in India.|
|Natural Gums, Herbs, Starch.|
|Natural Builders in India and around the globe.|
|Owner’s Build and Low cost Mud housing.|
|Thannal’s completed and on-going Projects.|
|Revival of Traditional techniques.|
Workshop 1: 22nd – 31st August 2019
Workshop 2: 20th-29th December 2019
Thannal campus, Tiruvannamalai, Tamilnadu – 606603.
Nearest Railway Stations: Tiruvannamalai, Katpadi and Villupuram.
Nearest Airport: Chennai, Bangalore.
Accommodation is not available within Thannal Campus, so participants have to find and arrange a guest house for staying in Tiruvannamalai town. This expense is not included in the course fee. Daily commute to the campus (6 k.m. from Ramana Ashram, Tiruvannamalai) during workshop days also have to be arranged by participants.
The workshop fee is Rs. 25,500/- (Indians) and USD 495/- (foreign nationals).
If you are coming for the workshop with your family, children between 10-18 years will be charged Rs. 12,750/- and children below 10 years can attend the workshop without any fee with their parents.
This fee includes lunch & refreshments during workshop days and excludes accommodation & site visit’s travel expenses.
*We function in a manner in which all our studies, documentations, travels and researches are funded with the money from workshops, not from any external funds, sponsorship’s and fellowships. Projects are done on a gift culture, without any consultation fee, which are the results of our studies of Indian Traditional Natural Building techniques. We expect people who want to learn from us understand this situation and kindly not ask for discounts in our study programmes. As we do not have any scholarship available right now, you can find a sponsor for yourself to study with us (you will be supporting us this way).*
Participation is limited to 15-20 participants on first come first serve manner. Kindly use the payment link below to register for the workshop. Registration fee of Rs. 12,750/- paid in advance to confirm your registration. Remaining fee is to be paid on the 1st day of workshop, in cash only. Accommodation options and location of campus etc. will be shared after your registration is done.
We are seeking participants with all levels of experience. Most importantly, applicants should have enthusiasm, a deep willingness to learn, an appreciation for working with their hands and a good attitude!
Prepare for the day:
Please see below links for details of things to carry and other matters of concern.
As per policies of Thannal Mud Homes Trust, if you want to cancel your reservation 20 days before workshop, we will refund you 75% of the registration fee. No refunds will be provided on cancellations done in a later stage, that is, within 20 days of the starting day of the workshop.
- We welcome families taking part in the workshop together. Children below 10 years can attend the workshop for free with parents. Children from 10-18 years of age has to pay 50% of workshop fee.
- We don’t entertain non participants at workshop site during workshop hours, unless it is unavoidable. Please let us know in advance if you want to invite your relatives or friends to campus during workshop days.
- Do respect privacy of others when you go visit any nearby sites.
- This is exclusively a hand-on workshop so get ready to stretch and twist your muscles.
- Do wear light comfortable cotton clothes, preferably old, to beat the heat. There are very less chances of your clothes not getting soiled.
- The sun can be a bit harsh here so carry sunscreen and head gears.
- Do keep yourself hydrated to avoid any discomforts. You can also carry Electoral & Glucose for that extra boost of energy.
- Wear foot wear that you can slip in and out of easily. Our Natural Cob Gym will need the use of your bare feet!
- At times, working with hands can get a little rough; you can get a pair of work gloves along!
- Please carry your emergency medicine if and when required.
- Keep your cell phones away while working, this is a no selfie zone. Video recording during workshop is also prohibited, notes can be written down.
- The itinerary is subjective to change as per material availability, site conditions and local weather.
- For queries: email@example.com
- Workshop Videos : CEPT Winter School Workshop : https://vimeo.com/250551626
10-day workshop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPtAvtvB7fE
Press the below button for Payment or go to this Link- https://imojo.in/ceii4z
|22-31st August 2019||Tickets open, Press the below button for Payment or go to this Link- https://imojo.in/ceii4z|
|20-29th December 2019||Registration will open June 2019|