1 day Natural Plaster Workshop
Note: Proceed to the payment link at the bottom after reading the entire terms & workshop details.
One day Natural Plasters workshop will held after Two-day Essentials of Building With Earth workshop on 8-9th March 2019, so people coming from long distance can attend both, if they wish to study about wall systems in deep. Link to 2 Day Natural Building Camp for Common (Wo)ManTwo-day
28th April 2019 – Registration open
A One-day-crash course on Natural Finishes, through which participants will be introduced to various natural methods in finishing wall surfaces by masons and natural builders.
Important learning from this course will be how to plaster walls using Mud, Lime and admixtures from plants and animals by experiencing different natural plasters done in our buildings, in different shades and colours. Natural plasters can be both used for exteriors and interiors and helps in creating a healthy living conditions as they do not contain any harmful chemicals or stabilizers.
This course covers five different plasters – two mud plasters, two mud + lime plasters and one pure lime plaster. This is an entirely prototype workshop, in which you will see our artisans demonstrate how to do different plasters. How to work with different kinds of Mud to attain different shades, admixtures derived from plants and animals to stabilise the plasters will also be taught.
- Introduction to Natural Plasters
- Testing & Identifying of different types of Mud
- Lime cycle
- Natural Polymers & Admixtures
- How to prepare a surface for plastering?
- How to Test your Plaster?
- Base Coat
- Mud Plaster First Coat
- Mud Plaster Final Coat
- Mud + Lime Plaster First Coat
- Mud + Lime Plaster Final Coat
- Lime Plaster First Coat
- Lime Plaster Final Coat
Biju Bhaskar and other members of Thannal.
11 March 2019 – Tickets open
23 September 2019 – Registration will open in June 2019
Time- 09:30 AM – 5:30 PM.
Thannal campus, Tiruvannamalai, Tamilnadu.
Nearest Railway Stations: Tiruvannamalai, Katpadi and Villupuram.
Nearest Airport: Chennai, Bengaluru.
Rs. 3500/- (for Indians) and USD 60 (for Foreign Nationals), including lunch & refreshments.
We function in a manner in which all our studies, documentations, travels and researches are funded with the money from workshops, not from any external funds, sponsorships and fellowships. Projects are done on a gift culture, without any consultation fee, which are the results of our studies of Indian Traditional Natural Building techniques. We expect people who want to learn from us understand this situation and kindly not ask for discounts in our study programmes. As we do not have any scholarship available right now, you can find a sponsor for yourself to study with us (you will be supporting us this way).
Participation is limited to 25 participants and will be on a first come first serve manner. Pay course fee using the link given below to register.
We are seeking participants with all levels of experience. Most importantly, applicants should have enthusiasm, a deep willingness to learn, an appreciation for working with their hands and a good attitude!
As per policies of Thannal Mud Homes Trust, if you want to cancel your reservation 20 days before workshop, we will refund you 75% of the registration fee. No refunds will be provided on cancellations done in a later stage, that is, within 20 days of the starting day of the workshop.
- This workshop is open to all profession and age group.
- We don’t entertain non participants at workshop site during workshop hours, unless it is unavoidable (please let us know in advance).
- We welcome families taking part in the workshop together. Children below 10 years can attend the workshop for free with parents. Children from 10-18 years of age has to pay 50% of workshop fee.
- Do respect privacy of others when you go visit any nearby sites.
- Do wear light comfortable cotton clothes, preferably old, to beat the heat. There are very less chances of your clothes not getting soiled.
- The sun can be a bit harsh here so carry sunscreen and head gears.
- Do keep yourself hydrated to avoid any discomforts. You can also carry Electoral & Glucose for that extra boost of energy.
- Wear foot wear that you can slip in and out of easily.
- At times, working with hands can get a little rough; you can get a pair of work gloves along!
- Please carry your emergency medicine if and when required.
- Keep your cell phones away while working, this is a no selfie zone. Video recording during lectures or demonstration is also prohibited, notes can be written down.
- The itinerary is subjective to change as per the site and weather conditions.
- For queries: thannalroots<@>gmail.com
Plaster Workshop Video, March 2018: https://vimeo.com/channels/thannalhandsculptedhomes/260540280