1 day Natural Plaster Workshop
Note: Status :
15th Sep 2018 completed – Photos – FB link
Video – https://youtu.be/CGgRX4PhKr0
Next workshop date will be announced soon
After enquires from many for a crash course on Natural Finishes, it is our first trial to conduct a one-day workshop with four interactive sessions with our masons and natural builders.
Natural plaster workshop about how to plaster walls using Mud, Lime and admixtures from plants and animals. Experience different natural plasters done in our buildings, in different shades and colours. Natural plasters can be both used for exteriors and interiors and helps in creating a healthy living conditions as they do not contain any harmful chemicals or stabilizers.
This course covers five different plasters – two mud plasters, two mud + lime plasters and one pure lime plaster. This is an entirely prototype workshop, in which you will see our artisans demonstrate how to do different plasters. How to work with different kinds of Mud to attain different shades, admixtures derived from plants and animals to stabilise the plasters will also be taught.
- Introduction to Natural Plasters
- Testing Sampling of Mud
- Lime cycle
- Natural Polymers & Admixtures
- How to prepare a surface for plastering?
- How to Test your Plaster?
- How to maintain your Plaster?
- Base Coat
- Mud Plaster First Coat
- Mud Plaster Final Coat
- Mud + Lime Plaster First Coat
- Mud + Lime Plaster Final Coat
- Lime Plaster First Coat
- Lime Plaster Final Coat
Biju Bhaskar and other members of Thannal.
September 15, 2018. 09:30 AM – 5:30 PM.
Thannal campus, Tiruvannamalai, Tamilnadu.
Nearest Railway Stations: Tiruvannamalai, Katpadi and Villupuram.
Nearest Airport: Chennai, Bengaluru.
Rs. 3500/- (for Indians) and USD 60 (for Foreign Nationals), including lunch & refreshments.
We function in a manner in which all our studies, documentations, travels and researches are funded with the money from workshops, not from any external funds, sponsorships and fellowships. Projects are done on a gift culture, without any consultation fee, which are the results of our studies of Indian Traditional Natural Building techniques. We expect people who want to learn from us understand this situation and kindly not ask for discounts in our study programmes. As we do not have any scholarship available right now, you can find a sponsor for yourself to study with us (you will be supporting us this way).
Participation is limited to 25 participants and will be on a first come first serve manner. Pay course fee using the link given below to register.
We are seeking participants with all levels of experience. Most importantly, applicants should have enthusiasm, a deep willingness to learn, an appreciation for working with their hands and a good attitude!
No re-funds will be made in the registration amount. You may nominate someone else for the workshop or retain it as credit with us and use it for any future workshops.
- This workshop is open to all profession and age group.
- We don’t entertain non participants at workshop site during workshop hours, unless it is unavoidable (please let us know in advance).
- We welcome families taking part in the workshop together. Children below 10 years can attend the workshop for free with parents. Children from 10-18 years of age has to pay 50% of workshop fee.
- Do respect privacy of others when you go visit any nearby sites.
- This is exclusively a hand-on workshop so get ready to stretch and twist your muscles.
- Do wear light comfortable cotton clothes, preferably old, to beat the heat. There are very less chances of your clothes not getting soiled.
- The sun can be a bit harsh here so carry sunscreen and head gears.
- Do keep yourself hydrated to avoid any discomforts. You can also carry Electoral & Glucose for that extra boost of energy.
- Wear foot wear that you can slip in and out of easily. Our Natural Cob Gym will need the use of your bare feet!
- At times, working with hands can get a little rough; you can get a pair of work gloves along!
- Please carry your emergency medicine if and when required.
- Keep your cell phones away while working, this is a no selfie zone.
- The itinerary is subjective to change as per the site and weather conditions.
- For queries: